Feeling a little Christmasy?
Well today I have my Christmas tree block tutorial to share with you for the 12 Days of Christmas Sampler Quilt Along. Thanks Sara for including me!
If you missed any of the other awesome block tutorials, you can check them out HERE.
tree template (CLICK HERE) (Print the 2nd page only. Sorry it is so light!)
green fabric for your tree- a few strips-one at least 7.5" long
red christmas fabric for the border
Let's get started: The pictures are above the directions.
1. Trim your green fabric strips at an angle and line them up as desired. Sew them together. Measure against your triangle template and add additional strips as needed. Press.
2. Lay the tree template over your green strips and trim to the tree shape.
3. Use the smaller triangle template and cut out two pieces of the white fabric. Start with the left side of the tree and line up the flat side of the white triangle about 1/4" above the flat top of your tree. Sew on. Press.
Repeat for the right side. Trim the small points at bottom of the tree.
4. Cut 2 white pieces 2.5" x 3.5" and one white piece 1.5" x 1." Cut a trunk piece 1.5" x 2" and sew on to the small white piece to the trunk piece.
Now, sew the two 2.5" x 3.5" pieces to the trunk piece. Press. Center the trunk piece on your tree and sew it to the bottom of your tree. Press again.
5. Trim your block - mine is 6 1/8" x 8.5."
6. Cut 4 white strips to border your tree. 2 strips 1.5" x 9" and 2 strips 1.5" x 10.5." Sew on the short strips first, press and trim excess, then add the longer strips on the sides, press, and trim excess.
7. Last add your red border pieces. Cut two pieces for the top and bottom 2" x 8" and two pieces for the sides 3.5" x 12.5." Sew on the top and bottom pieces first, press and trim excess then add the longer side pieces and press. Now, square up your block to 12.5" x 12.5."
Ta-dah! You now have a festive Christmas tree block for your sampler quilt. You know, this would also be really cute as a pillow too!
Be sure to add your blocks to the 12 Days of Christmas Sampler Quilt Flickr group and the Ellison Lane Quilts Flickr group. I would love to see what you make!